Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Apparently there's a very large typhoon bearing down on Hong Kong that already killed people in the Phillipines. How did I not hear about this until now? It wasn't on the morning radio news; Hong Kongians seem to take these mostly in stride, but so much for visiting Macau this weekend since the ferries won't be running. And my aunt and I were planning on it :(.

Back to the story, in markets in Hong Kong bargaining is the order of the day, which is foreign to most Americans. The last time I bargained was in Ciudad Juarez when I was 11, for a marionette. But I decided it was past time I tried again, so on Saturday after Nathan Rd and Tin Hau Temple, I headed to the Jade Market in Yau Ma Tei. Over 400 booths sell all sorts of jade accessories and trinkets, but I knew what I wanted. Presents.



My mother and sister have never gotten their ears pierced, and trying to find clip or screwback earrings in the US is almost impossible except at flea markets, and even then not often. So I began asking about, and found a stall with quite a few lovely options.

Ok, so it's going to spoil the surprise, but happy birthday Mom! Jade earrings & a pendant, and tiger eye earrings.



The other jade trinket was given to me for free, probably because I got suckered, but all 3 sets of earrings turned out to be a little over $100 US, and this pendant and the one next was about $16 each.



Sister, these are for you although I know you're not a jewelry person!



I went on Sunday to the Temple Night Market, which sets up around 5 pm, unlike the street fairs in NY which are breaking down just about then.



About an hour & a half later, things were getting busier.



I decided to pick up a couple of trinkets, tortoise for long life and Buddha for luck. I'm ashamed to say I know I got majorly ripped off, but in my defense, I was tired at the end of the day and wasn't doing math particularly well. And they were cute!



Ok, I paid about $16 USD for them *ashamed*. Still to come, temples, Sham Shui Po, and ferry ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment